[ExI] Alzheimer

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Fri Apr 22 10:18:26 UTC 2011

In addition to the "mental exercise" mentioned earlier:

Low blood cholesterol is associated with cognitive decline.  This is not
surprising, as a significant proportion of our brains are made out of
cholesterol.  There's a very good reason almost every cell in our body
can synthesize cholesterol: it's a necessary nutrient.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.org.uk/alzheimers.html

Note that past retirement age, low total cholesterol is associated with
*increased* risk of death.  (And even for younger people it's still a
U-shape: low total cholesterol is just as associated with death as high
cholesterol.)

A long, technical series you might find useful in understanding the
issues, including dietary recommendations at the end of Part II.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Alzheimers.html

Takeaway: more dietary cholesterol, more DHA, less n-6 seed oils, more
saturated fat (with emphasis on coconut oil), less carbs.

JS
http://www.gnolls.org