[ExI] Self improvement

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Apr 22 13:45:11 UTC 2011

Anders Sandberg wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:42:16AM +0100, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>>
>>>  We  need a proper theory for this!
>>
>> I am willing to bet good money that there is none. You can use
>> it as a diagnostic: whenever the system starts doing something
>> interesting your analytical approaches start breaking down.
>>

> Interesting approach. Essentially it boils down to the "true creativity
> is truly unpredictable" view (David Deutsch seems to hold this too).
>

>> As long as we continue to treat artificial intelligence as
>> a scientific domain instead of "merely" engineering, we won't be
>> making progress.
>>

> On the other hand "mere" engineering doesn't lend itself well to
> foresight. We get the science as a side effect when we try to understand
> the results (worked for thermodynamics and steam engines) but that is
> too late for understanding the dangers very well.
> "Look! Based on the past data, I can now predict that this kind of AI
> architecture can go FOOM if you run it for more than 48 hours!"
> "Oh, it already did, 35 minutes ago. We left it on over the weekend."
> "At least it wont paperclip us. That is easily proved from the structure
> of the motivation module..."
> "It replaced that one with a random number generator on Saturday for
> some reason."

I will get to a more detailed reply to your question as soon as I can,
but in the mean time I'll make a couple of quick observations.

1)  Eugen's suggestion that there might not be a "proper theory" is
something I have already said in a published paper (Complex Systems
paper from 2007), although I said it in a more rigorous way, and with a
different starting point.

2)  You hint at one of the "bad" scenarios in your last couple of
sentences .... but even in this abbreviated dialog format there is a
glaring error.  If the supposed motivation module prevents
paperclipping, it also (by trivial extension) prevents motivation module
replacement.  It is almost a logical fallacy to suppose that there is a
danger of the system replacing its motivation module, when the thing
that determines whether the motivation module gets replaced is the
CURRENT design of the motivation module.

As I say, more in due course.

Richard Loosemore