[ExI] The Great Silence again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:02:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 04:56:25PM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:
>
>> "To put bluntly, if technophilic life is common, none of them survive their
>> local Singularity.
>
> All the time? Arbitrary improbable.

Salt crystallizes only one way.  All we do know is that we see *no*
evidence of high tech life messing with the wild state of the
universe.  The obvious would be if the earth were in the beam of a
laser being used to push sails between stars.  Maybe all of them stay
home.  Maybe (unlikely as it seems) we are the first in our light
cone.

>> "There are alternatives, for example, as we speed up our thinking, the stars
>> recede out of reach.  (If your subjective time is sped up a million fold,
>> the nearest star becomes millions of years away.)  But this assumes no
>> variation, since slowing down your thinking brings the stars
>> closer.  (Assuming no FTL travel.)
>
> What is the subjective perception of time travelers locked in the
> Svalbard Global Seed Vault?
>
>> "Our entire species is going over a waterfall in a barrel.  There doesn't
>> seem to be a way to leave part of them on the shore as we drift downstream."
>>
>> http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=21617
>
> Why don't we wait, and find out in person.

We have no choice about it.  I suspect that most of the people on this
list will live into the time when we find out.

Keith