[ExI] The Great Silence again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:42:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> No, they will result in a huge canvas of culture cells. Just as
> today's Earth, only much, much larger.

But invisible and not changing any natural bodies in the galaxy.
Do you think they exist outside your imagination?

> You know what, your neurons operate on ms range, yet
> you're across the world and we're using an asynchronous
> communication channel that is read in minute do day
> latencies. And patches of ecosystems only interact at
> the edge. Most of the organisms are stationary, and only
> signal. Few will travel, and those that travel will
> be light, unless you come embodied, relativistically.
>
> So you're describing the geometries of the cell
> edges, not assemblies of cells. These are vaster
> than empires, and more slow. There's world enough,
> and time.

The whole galaxy could easily have been colonised by now even at low
sub-light speeds if they wanted to. We are late arrivals.  These
invisible civilisations haven't done too well at expanding up to now.

BillK