[ExI] Status as human motivator

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 03:49:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Olga Bourlin <olga.bourlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It should be a *hanging* offense to employ scientists or engineers in
>> the kinds of stupid games they play on Wall Street.
>
> So what have you got against capitalism, Keith?  (Ah, but at least you
> support lynching!)
>
> How very interesting.

I read this thread very differently.  I see it as a committed member
of one narrow field of interest becoming frustrated at the perceived
waste of resource towards unimportant goals.  A gifted young musician
is slighted by the disproportionate investment in high school football
(for example) while music programs are slashed at every budget cut.
Similarly a talented chef being asked to provide institutional meals
at minimal cost would be frustrated that he or she is prevented the
opportunity to showcase the skill the person possesses.

I assume Keith's intent was to "lynch" the misappropriation of money
that could otherwise solve the critically important problem of energy
rather than any person employing scientists on Wall Street.  Keith's
short list of topics (energy, EP) has never, to my knowledge, espoused
any "lynching" ideology.  I feel it's a bit unforgiving to take the
above comment out of context.

(an unusually sober post today, I'll be sure to return to my usual
lighthearted silliness forthwith)