[ExI] PaleoCRON?

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 27 16:44:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also inclined to consider occasional fasting a good thing (I
> personally tend to adopt it to fight sleep deprivation or flu
> symptoms), but I always believed that the subjective and yet quite
> evident benefits derive more from the suspension from time to time of
> the digestive process than from any substantial reduction in overall
> caloric intake.

The benefits of intermittent fasting are not just subjective, and your
intuition that even intermittent isocaloric fasting is beneficial is
correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction#Intermittent_fasting_as_an_alternative_approach

> This makes me think of another angle: are those who are on CRON really
> in a good position to profit from occasional fasting and its possible
> benefits? Admitting that in order to get the most out of it you are
> required to walk the borderline, fasting would immediately plunge you
> below the level where disadvantages exceed advantages.

No CRONies I know of are "trying to get the most out of it" and
"walking the borderline", so yes, most of us do get a benefit out of
fasting, and many of us fast. I'm fasting today, coincidentally. I'll
eat tomorrow evening after 48 hrs of fasting.