[ExI] How slow is capitalism?

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 29 03:51:37 UTC 2011

The aggregate wealth in oil-rich Libya is much smaller than that of,
for example, tiny Singapore, which has a smaller population and no
oil. What you are saying is just completely false, about Gaddafi
building up real wealth in Libya. Poverty and frustration are big
motivators for the violent opposition which has exploded against
Gaddafi and similar dictators across the Arab world. Western
politicians certainly can be extremely corrupt, e.g. Italy's
Berlusconi. Yet despite being exceptionally corrupt compared to most
Western leaders, Berlusconi owns a far smaller proportion of his
country's wealth than Gaddafi does and is in continuous danger of
criminal prosecution. The only thing which has saved Berlusconi from
prison is the racism of Italian voters, who support his repetition of
Fascist harassment of Gypsies and so on. So how do you get to the
conclusion that Western politicians are never satisfied with their
personal greed?