[ExI] Status as human motivator

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Fri Apr 29 15:08:34 UTC 2011

Il 27/04/2011 07:56, Olga Bourlin ha scritto:
> Mike, I was being sarcastic, you know?  I don't believe in "free
> passes," especially not the ones written by the largely "pale and
> male" crowd among the Extropian libertarians here.  How accommodating
> not to have to discuss real-world issues by passing them off as
> irrelevant now due to alleged immateriality in the future.  How
> special:
>
> "Racial and ethnic prejudice is notably uncommon [among hackers] and
> tends to be met with freezing contempt."

My opinion is this:
hackers have not affirmative actions.
The only way an hacker can access the higher status is showing skills
and proving them.

A black African graduate (say a MA or MS) is suspected of favouritism
because no one know if he obtained his admission by affirmative action
or for his skills. For a white European this is not the case, because
there is no affirmative action for them.

So, people finding two young unproven physicians, one black and one
white, will naturally trust more the white to be competent than he will
trust the black. It is not racism, it is a rational (maybe subconscious)
behaviour.
Reverse the situation and make know that black are not helped and white
are and people will reverse their behaviour.

This is something already happen in the middle east.
Christians are subject to negative prejudices by the Muslim majority.
But strangely, when it is time to find a competent doctor or teacher,
they are preferred.

My advice is to kick out the affirmative action and its supporters.

Mirco