[ExI] Efficiency of algorithmic trading

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 29 20:03:34 UTC 2011

2011/4/29 Mr Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com>:

> Nothing is permanent.

OK, but you claimed wealth concentration and rigid stratification have
been the case for centuries. That is not true. The US had the highest
upward mobility in the world till Reagan. It has now collapsed to
worst in the west and is dropping fast as wealth concentrates.

> Yeah, Reagan's to blame for it all.

And his right-wing successors, including many Reaganite Democrats.

> I wasn't aware anyone was claiming policy doesn't matter.

Yes, you did, you equated FDR and Reagan when you argued results have
been the same for centuries. They have not. Public policy has made an
enormous difference.

>> You rest my case.
>
> I'm not sure what your case is.....<blahblah blah>

See above.

>> The progressive pols are ineffectual because they are now vastly
>> outnumbered,
>
> More like out-financed.

No. No amount of financing can elect a right-winger in San Francisco
or New York City. And no amount of financing can elect a Sanders in
about 80% of Congressional districts.

>> thanks to the voters, fewer than 20% of whom now consider
>> themselves progressives.
>
> Most are too busy worrying about the stupid wedding, or who'll win idol.

Somehow, that doesn't change the very consistent geographical and
demographic patterns we see in voting.

>> That's not a problem with politicians. It's a
>> problem with the electorate.
>
> Yes.  I don't disagree entirely here.  Certainly the lot of willful idiots
> has something to do with this.  Politicians have merely become adept
> predators, in a target rich environment.

No. Pols just reflect their electorate.