[ExI] The Great Silence again

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Apr 30 15:38:26 UTC 2011

One problem I see with our starmoving scheme is keeping the Dyson cloud
in orbit. When it reflects the star's light it will also tend to
expand/move ahead, and we need to restore it to it's original position
relative to the star. That seems to require some work.

A statite will be kept in place by gravity, but that only works for a
ring around the star, not a whole shell. Is there any analysis of closed
static orbits for reflectors reflecting in a particular direction?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute