[ExI] Astroturf - Is anything 'real' out there?

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Fri Aug 5 14:30:53 UTC 2011

On 8/4/11 3:11 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Richard Loosemore
> <rloosemore at susaro.com>  wrote:
>>> A rather large number of them can be traced back to George Sorros...
>>> at least the left leaning ones...
>> Laughable.
>>
>> Can you cite your evidence that "a rather large number of" the astroturfing
>> organizations are traceable back to George Soros?
> Sure, in fact it is very easy.
>
> George Soros And His Open Society Institute gave at least $21,223,500
> To 23 Groups working against President Bush’s Legislative Agenda and
> $5,235,000 to groups that blocked Bush appointees.

[snipped]

Kelly, none of this is evidence for ASTROTURFING.

You gave evidence that Soros funds organizations that attract large
numbers of REAL supporters, like me -- those are not astroturf, they are
genuine grassroots organizations in which very large numbers of real
people believe in a thing and try to do something about it.

Astroturfing is about setting up an organizations to give the *illusion*
of a large movement of people who support something, but where in fact
the organization is just a couple of guys, a big name like "American
People for Jobs and Prosperity" (I made that up: I have no idea if there
is a real group called that), and expensive radio advertisments.

So, once again you support your claims with smoke and mirrors.

Richard Loosemore