[ExI] we must remember this

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 11 16:26:12 UTC 2011

On 8/11/2011 4:48 AM, BillK wrote:

> I don't see how evolution could have generated a beneficial effect in
> 70 year old humans at a time when 70 year old humans didn't exist.

Well, an effect preferentially protecting earlier memories that would
prove beneficial both in youth and later. However, an aging expert on
the GRG list (where I cross posted) commented:

 > As I understand it, it's not the process of accessing old memories
 > that is superior.  It's the writing of new information into long-term
 > memory that deteriorates.  For some people this fails completely, so
 > their long-term memory becomes a read-only memory.

That makes sense and probably gazumps my notion--as long as special
maintenance isn't required to sustain or reinforce old memories, because
if it is that might support my (not very serious) suggestion.

Damien Broderick