[ExI] Captchas

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 14 16:31:38 UTC 2011

On Aug 13, 2011, at 8:00 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
" "affect" means to have an influence on or cause a change in"
And that is exactly precisely what an effect does." "affect" means have a *effect* on or make a difference to."
As opposed to "effect" which means NOT having an effect on or NOT making a difference to. Or maybe not."If that is still too hard to follow,"
It is, far far too hard. You seem passionate in insisting there is a profound difference but I'll be damned if I see it.
"try this: You can affect me by punching me in the snout (or by SHOUTING BULLSHIT! on my screen)."
No doubt. And either of those things would bring about a change in you
that was the result of an action; and as you just admitted in your post
the word for something like that is "effect"."The effect is to make my nose bleed"
 It's weird, I could have used those very same two examples myself to illustrate that there is
 absolutely no difference between the two words except, as I already
mentioned, when "affect" is used to mean pretend or phony. I guess those two words just effect our minds differently.

 John K Clark