[ExI] Discontent with the path physics is taking

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Aug 17 16:09:58 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dan
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:35 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: [ExI] Discontent with the path physics is taking

This is from another email forum, but I wanted to get some opinions from
folks here. Do you think Dennis's concern is valid? He seems to believe
string theory and all that is eating up and laying waste to the field.

Regards,

Dan

Dan, this has long been a concern of those outside string theory, but I look
at it this way.  String theory has few if any commercial applications.
There is *plenty* of physics going on in microdevices and other areas where
there are enormous economic incentives.  String theory is not competing with
that, and that is where the money is.  I don't worry if a few physics
professors struggle over their 14 dimensional mathematics and eat up some
small and dwindling theoretical research budget supplied by governments.  I
cheer for them, hope they find interesting stuff.  I am interested in
theoretical physics myself.  I worry they may have taken a long and
fruitless path.  But I don't lose any sleep over it.

spike