[ExI] The new Century

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Aug 17 23:41:24 UTC 2011

On 08/17/2011 09:09 AM, Amon Zero wrote:
> I've just posted something new on my blog which might be of interest
> to folks here:
>
> http://transhumanpraxis.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/the-new-century/

Amon,

You are still repeating several notions that I and others have made
sound or at least credible arguments against.  This is disappointing.
Short version:

1) Abolishing all involuntary suffering is a bogus goal as any negative
feedback can be experienced as suffering or any less than preferred
outcomes whatsoever.

2) No central committee equivalent, whether technocratic and
meritocratic or not, can possibly respond better and as quickly to all
conditions as localized talents of perhaps equal competency.  So this is
a rehash of central state being better memes with insufficient
justification.

3) No money means no fungible value tokens and thus no sophisticated
traded of goods and services and no means to vote with said tokens for
what uses of resources are more or less desirable.  This issue does not
go away just because you have MNT and/or AGI.

4) There is nothing wrong with debt or other risk trading per se only
with abusive forms and instruments.

5) Constraining business to the will of society is constraining the
productive (producing more value than consumed in doing so) to the whims
of a mythical ill-defined mob called "society".  It has nothing to do
with a truly "new" century.

6) Free markets are not in the least what caused the current economic
crisis.  Acting as if they are shows a singular lack of understanding
and a dangerous one embedded in a supposed policy document.  It is
government that much change, not capitalism / free markets.  The
embedded screed against capitalism is uncalled for.

7) The notion that someone needs to be in charge is the largest root of
all evil that you seem to embrace.

Before you form a meaningful movement toward a better future you need a
much much clearer understanding of where we are, how things work, and
most especially a reasonably coherent set of ethical and epistemological
building blocks the rest is grounded upon.  What you list here is a
hodgepodge of opinions and rather commonplace assumptions and
prejudices.  It will not do.

- samantha