[ExI] Discontent with the path physics is taking

Sophia Rose sen.otaku at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 20 01:05:58 UTC 2011

Even if science is a cultural product, there are lots of subcultures within
all countries that have scientific research. What effect do you feel these
subcultures have on the pursuit of science in general, or Physics in
specific?

I know that it is a general trend in dominant culture to grab the limelight
for one's self (I think that is easily drawn from the Reality Star trend).
So we are saying that this is the motivation behind this race for String
Theory? The desire to be the next Einstein/Newton/Maxwell?

And if so, how is that different from past trends? What was the previous
motivation for scientific discoveries? Is it possible, or even desirable to
return to that?