[ExI] Drug makes fat mice live longer

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Sat Aug 20 17:02:00 UTC 2011

> From: john clark
> A drug has been found that extends the lifespan of fat mice by a
> whopping 44%, although that's still less than the lifespan of a
> normal thin mouse.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/science/19fat.html

 From the article: "The drug, SRT-1720, protects the mice from the usual
diseases of obesity by reducing the amount of fat in the liver and
increasing sensitivity to insulin."

One can easily produce the same effects by slashing one's consumption of
linoleic acid (found primarily in seed oils, e.g. "vegetable oil") and
fructose (primary source: sugar and HFCS), the combination of which
produces fatty liver very, very quickly for sound biochemical reasons.

One might note that the modern American diet is very high in both
vegetable oil and fructose -- thanks in no small part to Ancel Keys'
fraudulent demonization of saturated fat and cholesterol, and the CSPI's
ceaseless public scare campaigns to replace all the healthy beef tallow
in snack foods and fast-food deep fryers with toxic partially
hydrogenated seed oils (or rancid, heavily oxidized non-hydrogenated
seed oils).  Not that fast food has ever been healthy -- but we've
managed to make it dramatically more unhealthy since the 1980s.

Back to the subject: it'll be much more interesting to see the effects
on normal mice, and whether any of these theoretically
sirtuin-activating compounds can produce real results.

JS
http://www.gnolls.org