[ExI] ai class at stanford

G. Livick glivick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 28 05:04:31 UTC 2011

I've followed this thread for a bit, but can't for the life of me see
how the AI class, the offering of LISP as a preferred means for creating
AI software, and the use of spreadsheets in lieu of hard coding, all fit
together.  It appears that optimal solutions are being proposed for
requirements not yet known, which raises another point: this class is a
fundamental introduction to contemporary methods used to good advantage
by autonomous robots operating in unstructured environments -- with
applications in other areas related to object recognition, etc.  These
are "basic" tools (the word 'basic' being rather relative in that the
math involved ruins the lives of science students through at least their
junior years at university), not general solutions.  Because of that,
I'm not expecting much class work discussion between those of us taking
the course that would interest ExI's.  We won't be developing AI, just
learning some of the basic probability theory and numerical methods in
the current tool-set; extremely dull stuff for anyone mainly interested
in the Great Oz, and not the man behind the curtain.

Hopefully I'm wrong....

FutureMan