[ExI] destructive uploading was AI class

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Aug 30 16:00:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 06:16:57AM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM,  Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> >  If the uploading process is destructive and one-way,
>
> Can you think of any reason uploading would need to be destructive and one-way?

Anyone reading this will only be uploaded as a nice chunk of
vitrified tissue which will be presectioned and destructively
scanned in a massively parallel fashion, abstracting nonrelevant
data along the way. It is destructive, but not necessarily
one-way, though it is effectively one-way as nobody will bother
fabricating slow and expensive meat puppets.

> I know Hans Moravec proposed that decades ago and it became a
> pervasive meme, but it's an awful concept and a serious marketing
> burden for transhumanism.

Doesn't affect cryonics, as this side of suspension process is
resurrection-agnostic.

> I have reasons to think it would be a lot harder than infiltrating the
> brain with nanotech monitoring posts and learning how to emulate it.

It would be a lot harder since there isn't any medical nantechnology,
nor will there be any for anyone reading this message right now.