[ExI] destructive uploading was AI class

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:28:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you think of any reason uploading would need to be destructive and one-way?

What Eugen said: there are good odds that the first upload will be
created from a cryonics patient.  Another possible scenario is
Turing's thought experiment of replacing the brain one part at a
time (he specified one neuron at a time) until you eventually have a
complete upload.

Granted, you could in theory - assuming good enough knowledge of
how the brain works, and the necessary technology - eventually
recreate an organic brain and download into that.  That's still "one-way"
in that you're not going back to the original brain.

> I have reasons to think it would be a lot harder than infiltrating the
> brain with nanotech monitoring posts and learning how to emulate it.

What are those reasons?  I think it would be the other way around.
For instance, replacing the brain piece by piece means you only
have to monitor one part of the brain at a time, and that strikes me
as simpler than monitoring the entire brain at once.