[ExI] destructive uploading was AI class

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 23:47:30 UTC 2011

Gene et al,

It's my impression that the whole "destructive scan" meme is an
artifact of the microtome-sliced sample-preparation method of electron
microscopy.  I can't imagine that this anti-diluvian
sample-preparation and scanning method would continue into the future
as the dominant scanning paradigm.  Certainly not for **my** brain,
thankyouverymuch.

Please explain why it would be infeasible to clear the lumen of the
circulatory system of the vitrified patient, replace it with LN2, and
dispatch nanobots in this fluid to conduct the scan, non-destructively
from the inside, "infiltrating the brain" as Keith describes.

Then Gene, you make the comment below:

" ...there isn't any medical nantechnology, nor will there be any for
anyone reading this message right now."

We don't have the nanotech at the moment.  Well duh, but more to the
point, so what?  Scanning-for-upload will be the "back end" of the
freeze-wait-reanimate process, so the fact that we don't have the
reanimation tech -- scanning included -- right now is both well
established(in our circles) and trivially irrelevant.  Anyone "reading
this message right now", if vitrified (cryonically preserved) will
be,...well... preserved.  They will remain essentially unchanged,
essentially indefinitely, and consequently, will be there waiting when
the tech arrives.

But I don't have to explain this to you, Gene.  You're fully versed in
this business -- theory and practice -- having worked with 21st
Century Medicine maybe a decade ago helping to develop ice-blockers
for the vitrification process.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

So I'm befuddled.  (Scratches head in befuddlement.)  Why are you,
overqualified as you are in this business, making negative,
misleading, and coyly irrelevant comments?  Still pissy about the
knuckle-dragging atavism and luddite obstructionism of your fellow
humans?  Can't help you there.  Well,...actually...

Best, Jeff Davis

"Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                         Ray Charles