[ExI] Alcor dumping "grandfathering"?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Aug 31 19:11:23 UTC 2011

Are you talking about the Freitas analysis that presents a terribly
pessimistic view of future expenses? I find that analysis hard to believe.
No one has really gone through it critically with the detail required to
check its assumptions and projections.

Gaining new members is high on my priority list, starting in the very near
future. I'm already working on that in some ways, but can really go on the
offensive in a few months.

--Max

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM,  Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> >
> > Keith:  Rather than inflaming people based on rumors, why not wait until
> > Alcor communicates  what is being considered in order to tackle the
> massive
> > underfunding problem that has accumulated over many years? (Details of a
> > possible proposal will probably come out in about two weeks.) Something
> MUST
> > be done, but the proposal under consideration is much less dire than
> you're
> > painting it.
>
> That's nice to know.
>
> But even dumping old timers like me is *far* from the most serious
> concern I have.
>
> Regardless of what Alcor *says,* the actions *not* taken over the past
> few years make it look from the outside like Alcor is giving up on
> it's mission.  The conclusion from the financial analysis that Alcor
> loses money on every member it takes on is obviously wrong (some of
> those members kick in millions when they die). But the effect of this
> belief is that Alcor has been making next to no efforts to gain new
> members--a sensible path if you accept the financial analysis.
>
> I appreciate the problems you have.  If you want to discuss them
> privately, you have my phone number.  I am just as willing to hash
> them out in public.  It's not like I have not done that before.  :-)
>
> Keith Henson

Max More
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*