[ExI] commentary by one of ours

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 13:48:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We've entered an era when publishing costs can be negligible, but people
> still want/need to be paid for /creating/ things.

 The traditional publishers haven't really caught on to this yet . . .

Neither have authors. The majority of authors thrive on advances from
established publishers that our books usually don't earn out. If
e-publishing continues to become cheaper and easier, and the established
dead-tree publishing industry dissolute, then we may be forced to skip the
middle man and send our books out into the market on a supply and demand
basis. Advances will be a thing of the past, and our payment will depend
entirely on how popular our books are and how much money we earn above our
production costs.