[ExI] Ebooks Formats and ebook readers

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Dec 10 19:49:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> On 10 December 2011 19:20, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
>
> > In theory, this has ability to become e-paper doing as many colors as one
> > wishes, just like current better (graphics/design grade) LCDs and more.
> > With all expected advantages of e-paper (low energy, print-like and so
> > on).
> >

> So, let me summarise my wishlist:
> - full-colour, "static" (as opposed to constanly refreshed) display;
> - backlighting only inasmuch as it may be required by environmental
> lighting;
> - "retina" resolution;
> - high enough responsiveness  to watch films or play arcade videogames.
>
> I am not asking for much... :-)

Not really. Unless you insist that the device is going to be used for
personal improvement rather than socio-networking, shop browsing, photo
sharing and games. :-)

> Does anybody see any conceptual contradiction?

If you agreed to trade backlight for frontlight, this one is more
compatible with current e-paper concepts I've read about. Myself, I can
easily provide my own frontlight and have one less element that can fail
and is hard to replace (you can expect they will no longer make those very
specific back/frontlit diodes in times when consumers would like to
replace them - OTOH it may still be possible to have their analogs).

BTW, I think current e-papers are not really good for fast changing
pictures. I don't remember anything specific, let's call it suspicion.
There must be a reason why we hear about readers but not laptops/netbooks.
So I think games and films would contribute to faster wearing of
electromechanical pixels. Compared to LCD, this is still very new tech.
And it took quite few years to make LCD that can do anim without ghosting.

Other than this, you only need to be patient, so that the market has a
chance to catch up with your (and mine) wishes.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola