[ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 06:39:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM, PJ Manney <pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a resident Ashkenazi (which simply means "German" in Medieval
> Hebrew), please allow me to weigh in.  Jews will tell you the
> following might have exerted pressures on their culture and gene pool
> for increased intelligence:

<snip>

> 8) As the perpetual outsider, Jews have had to assimilate local
> traditions while preserving their own cultural heritage.  It's this
> cultural mishmash and the related practice of synthesizing large
> amounts of divergent information that often brings fresh intellectual
> and creative insights.  I really think this is a significant reason
> why 0.2% of the world is Jewish, but 20% of the Nobel winners are
> Jewish.

I just had another thought and please allow me to follow my thought
train here before I pass out for the night:

Earlier in the year, Joshua Fox wrote a piece in H+ Magazine comparing
transhumanism to Judaism.
http://hplusmagazine.com/2011/08/18/beyond-otaku-transhumanism-and-judaism/

I had this to say in response:
I believe it is crucial in any comparison of transhumanism and Judiasm
to discuss the concept of Tikkun Olum (Repairing or Perfecting the
World).

Jews and H+ers have many things in common. Maybe it’s why so many are
both. Both are used to a challenging, cerebral life. Both see the
world differently and appreciate things no one understands but them.
Both self-identify as outsiders in a hostile, dominant culture and
console themselves that their separateness allows greater moral,
ethical or intellectual clarity.

It is the pursuit of Tikkun Olam that unites them both. Many Jews
believe by performing Mitzvots — good deeds — they set an example
others can follow and this perfects the world, so the powerless can
positively influence others. Many H+ers dedicate their lives to their
research or writings and hope someone will use it to change the world
for the better. But some think Tikkun Olam means they are responsible
for the world, even if they are not a welcome part of it. Since they
know best, they must fix it, however possible, regardless of opinions
or cost. Jews and H+ers have cultures that meditate upon this choice,
however this mentality is not reserved for Jews or H+ers. All
Abrahamic religions think this. It gives them moral authority. The
American Empire called it “Manifest Destiny” or “my way or the
highway.” ;-)

Ultimately, the question to every society is this: Which way is best?
Positive change (whatever that means) only through moral behavior or
by any means necessary?
++++++++++++++++

New thought: So if Tikkun Olam/Repairing the World is a cultural
imperative for Jews, perhaps it is the motivation (conscious or not)
in their search for ways to make the world better, which supports
scholarship and activism.  And so many win Nobels while doing it...
:-)

Also, research in altruism, empathy and compassion indicates that
species and societies that emphasize those traits are more likely to
survive through cooperation.  So if we're improving the world both
through and to promote cooperation, Tikkun Olam is perpetuated.

Goodnight,
PJ