[ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:27:51 UTC 2011

2011/12/13 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>

> It has been a place of great intellectual creativity, yes...  But I have
> always thought of Italy as being a people with a love/hate
> relationship with their Church.  And so Italians are not necessarily the
> most truly observant of Catholics.

What about the idea that Italian were made intellectually stronger
*because* of the especially pervasive christian repression of their
cultural life, on the tune of what has been discussed about Jews ("What
does not kill you makes you stronger"). :-)

But it is also true that the Reform took place exactly because Luther was
scandalised that the Pope himself was not taking his role seriously enough,
and was spending in arts, wars, lovers, architecture, gastronomy and
scholarship like the next Renaissance prince.

--
Stefano Vaj