[ExI] is a FTL drive a dream without any physics to back it up?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:21:26 UTC 2011

On 15 December 2011 13:58, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 01:19:37PM +0100, Stefano Vaj wrote:
>
> > What would be the point if we were to deliberately slow down our
> subjective
> > time? If we object to those opposed to life-extension research that there
>
> When you travel, you want to travel as light as possible.
> You might want to save juice when cruising, and you certainly
> can't take much company, particularly gods which count
> in km^3 and more. There isn't much space on a ~kg payload.

OK. So it would not be a matter of subjective time, but a matter of energy
consumption (which would not apply to, say, a Bussard propulsor or any
other renovating source thereof).

In such event, I think the best would be to switch off whatever you send
altogether, be it biological or digital or a mix thereof, unless and until
you find the next source of energy.

I think pioneers would travel as seeds, not as full organisms.

Yes, I always wondered about that. How much do we push the idea, however?
The "lightest" way to seed AIs at destination might be to send a few
probiotes likely to inseminate an evolutionary cycle, leading to organisms
able to transfer themselves on synthetic support. But this is not much more
emotionally satisfying than send the Voyager with a few records of our
civilisation towards the big Nothing...

--
Stefano Vaj