[ExI] Hitchens and Cryonics (Was Hitch Belongs to the Ages)

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:31:26 UTC 2011

2011/12/18 Max More <max at maxmore.com>

> I don't see him having considered cryonics on its merits. Apparently
> someone mentioned the idea to him. He dismissed it somewhat snidely, citing
> no reasons whatsoever.

I didn't know that. I found on the 'net what he said about it.

"somebody has written to me from a famous university to suggest that I have
myself cryonically or cryogenically frozen against the day when the magic
bullet, or whatever it is, has been devised. (When I failed to reply to
this, I got a second missive, suggesting that I freeze at least my brain so
that its cortex could be appreciated by posterity. Well, I mean to say,
gosh, thanks awfully."

I can find no other mention of why he might have so summarily dismissed the
idea. Surely, given the ground he has covered with the other "horseman" --
Dennett, Harris and Dawkins -- the subject had to come up at least once.
The concept of life extension is in part indubitably tied to beliefs about
life and afterlife, which must have been very familiar ground for Hitchens.
I'm surprised he wasn't all over it.

darren