[ExI] Ashkenazi Longevity was Re: The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:26:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran into 23 and me the other day, but their web site really sucks in
> terms of telling you what they do. How many things can they tell you
> about yourself? What sorts of things are they?
>
> Have many of you used their services? Has it seemed worthwhile to you?

I have both the genealogy and health profiles that I purchased a
couple of years ago during a World DNA Day offer of $99.  I couldn't
resist!  They show lots of data, both disease and traits related.  And
your haplogroups.  As a woman, I only have one they can show by DNA,
which means I need to get my dad tested to get my paternal group.  I
plan to do that this summer.  They can link your haplogroup and
segments together to show genealogical connections with other users.

I haven't used their services much yet, but I'm about to give them a
pretty good workout, since I'm researching a new book, so I'll let you
know.  It's why I jumped onto this thread.  I've been thinking a lot
about it lately.

Genealogy is worthless for an Ashkenazi.  Most "relatives" comes out
as my 2nd - 5th cousin (because of inbreeding)!  As opposed to my
husband, who has fewer matches in genealogy, mostly "Distant
relatives" and they all have Scandinavian or Germanic names.

Mostly, I discovered that I am definitely the biological offspring of
my parents.  And given what I know about them, I need to take good
care of myself!  I keep thinking "epigenetics vs. genetics...
epigenetics vs. genetics..."  So I went on my first Hike the Geek
today to get some exercise!  :-)

It can give you potentially scary information, too, like genetic
likelihoods of Alzheimer's, etc.

Their new upgrade system pisses me off.  I have to pay more to get
more information.

I also just discovered they do a statistical likelihood of offsprings'
traits, so I took my husband and my profiles and linked them.  Funny
-- it's how it really turned out with two kids...  :-)

Anyone else have an opinion of 23 and Me for Kelly?

Re: Tay-Sachs --
> That is an astonishing success story. Why hasn't this been told where
> I could read it, I wonder. Perhaps I'm not reading widely enough...
> LOL

I don't think it made mainstream news:
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/tay-sachs-the-jewish-disease-almost-eradicated-1.147493
http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/08_01/Tay_Sachs_gene_tests.shtml