[ExI] Organizations to "Speed Up" Creation of AGI?

Kevin G Haskell kgh1kgh2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 05:51:42 UTC 2011

On Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:38:15 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>( Kevin George Haskell) :

> Does anyone know of any presently existing private organizations that are
> dedicated to the idea of 'speeding' up the development of AGI and of
> achieving the Singularity as soon as possible?

>>All the brain emulation projects clearly aim for this, whether they
>>realize it, or not.

Agreed.

>>Of course accelerating the Singularity just because you can is the
>>most idiotic idea imaginable. All extinction events happen when
>>the environment changes particularly rapidly.

Is it the most idiotic? It is true what you wrote about extinction level
events, so how wise it to wait for the countless other possible extinction
level-events, either caused by nature, war, or man-made accidents like the
release of a global-killing virus, non of which will provide anything for
man, and will end the chance of human/AGI intelligence from evolving and
spreading throughout the universe?

>>If you cease to be the prime mover and shaker you'll be a prime
>>candidate for the fossil layer yourself. There are easier and more
>>straightforward ways to commit suicide as a species.

Yes, but at some point, we are bound to go extinct, one way or the
other...except...possibly, if we create AGI.  So, again, you 'do' realize
that we are going to go extinct if we 'don't' create AGI, right? Do you
propose stopping the development of AGI, and if so, since we will
eventually go extinct as a species, wouldn't that actually be the way we
would be committing suicide as a species?

Kevin George Haskell,
C.H.A.R.T.S
(Capitalism, Health, Age-Reversal, Transhumanism, and Singularity.)