[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 22 15:36:29 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg

>>...   Think about it this way, how many copies of Keith Henson could you
put up with? Keith

>...I don't mind a population of 90% Keiths. As long as you don't mind a lot
of Anderses around... -- Anders Sandberg

I stumbled over this concept some time ago.  If we discover uploading, the
very natural next step is to want to create as many copies as you have
memory and computing capacity to support.  Therein lies the trouble.  Do we
then describe a virtual society by its Keith/Anders ratio?  And if others
are replicating themselves and I am not, the spike/Anders ratio and
spike/Keith ratio are actually declining, and that will never do, even
though I think the world of these guys.  We have spent our lifetimes making
ourselves into the person we want to be, and we like us.  I like me.  I want
more like me, if I can create them.

Now imagine your local megalomaniac, or the other guy who is even worse, the
gigalomaniac.  He will be wildly enthusiastic about self-replication, when
he is not busy maniacally selling his sexual services to women.