[ExI] An uploading proposal (inspired by Re: Uploading cautions, "Speed Up")

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 09:11:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Imagine an advanced AGI coming to you and saying... Hey, you're using
>> a lot of atoms up in your biological state... how about I upload you,
>> for free, in exchange for the use of your matter, and all the matter
>> that you "own" or control so that I can turn it into computronium and
>> we can go off into the sunset together?
>>
>> Seems like a reasonable idea for a good sci fi short story...
>
> especially if the ending was that both of you were already in a simulation

Wouldn't an advanced AGI already know if it were in a simulation...
LOL!!! Perhaps not.

> or if the "conversation" was actually the beginning of the process and
> after a lengthy debate in which you reject the whole idea and walk
> away you are merely simulated as walking away and the simulation is
> run until your inevitable death and you are none the wiser.

I like where you're going with that. Kind of investigate the idea of
whether real life is really all that superior to life in a
simulation... which is an idea that really needs to be investigated
fully... Of course if you had life extending drugs in the simulation,
it might have to run for some "perceived" time... and it would be an
interesting idea if that perceived time were actually only around 30
seconds of real time... Gets a little complex to work into a short
story, but someone with more writing talent might take a swipe at
it... Kasey? Anyone?

> Those who
> take the red pill are allowed to access the new world, their minds are
> completely blown and the pieces flutter down into the collective.

Not sure exactly where you're going, but sounds interesting.

> By "into the sunset together" you are talking about the literal end of
> the star's fusion reaction, right?

Now you're just riffing... LOL

-Kelly