[ExI] propose temporary open season, and japanese xenophobia, was: RE: The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 24 18:08:29 UTC 2011

Since many of us here have a few days off work at Newtonmas, we have time to
fool with email lists.  I propose a temporary relaxation of the usual five
posts a day limit.  Let us make it open season on any and every topic for
today, tomorrow and Monday, shall we?  I want to see what happens under
those circumstances.  Perhaps many of us here have thoughts left
unexpressed, and now we have time to think and express.  Smart stuff only
please, as much of it as you want for today, Newtonmas and the day after,
thanks.

Your friendly micro-omnipotent assistant vice moderator, spike

Comments below:

On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

On 24 December 2011 09:47, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>.Sorry to barge into the middle of this... but while Japan is not
xenophobic in the sense of ideas or visiting people, they are still
one of the most "racially pure" focused peoples on earth. Racism (such
as against Koreans) is still pretty widespread in Japan, is it not?

>.I do not know whether this is "racism", but certainly is a cultural trait
quite essential to Japanese identity. Curiously enough, it is in fact
historically coupled with an extreme xenophilia (with China for most of
Japanese history and with the West later).Stefano Vaj

Both of these comments miss a critically important factor in the Japanese
apparent xenophobia.  A well known bumper sticker comment:  It ain't
paranoia if the bastards really are out to get you.  Well, similarly, it
ain't xenophobia if you have a damn good reason to fear outsiders.  Japan's
behavior toward the Chinese in world war 2 is not so soon forgotten as has
been Europe's version of atrocity.  Do take my word for it, the Asians
haven't forgotten.  My own neighborhood is mostly Asian, about half
Vietnamese, many Chinese of other varieties, and exactly one Japanese lady,
who has done everything she can to downplay that.  Still she is an outcast
to everyone other than our family, who knew nothing of Japan's military
action in China and other places, until recently.  I don't hold that against
her: she was born well after all that went on, as were all the others in
this neighborhood.

Japan would be well advised to keep the Chinese out for at least another
generation.