[ExI] Organizations to "Speed Up" Creation of AGI?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 23:46:30 UTC 2011

On 26 December 2011 00:11, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Evolutionary strategies that are successful can lead into dead ends.
> Apparently there are several lineages of carnivores over the triassic that
> grew larger, gaining advantages as predators - and then became vulnerable to
> temporary ecological noise and died out... only to be replaced by the next
> lineage. We could be in the same situation - a daring strategy might on
> average work well, but raises the risks over time until they cause a
> disaster.

A disaster for whom? The human beings currently alive? Their
offspring? Our species? Our country/race/persuasion? Our clade? Our
personal genes? Our "children of mind"? Our culture? Our personal
identity?

Is "survival" anyway the only metrics by which we should is "survival"
the only metrics by which we should take our decisions or are there
other competing values and priorities?

And what does survival mean in the first place and how should we weigh
a 5% chance of lasting for 1000 time units vs a 50% chance of lasting
for 100 time units?

I am always perplexed by how little one's position is made explicit
with regard to what should we really care about and why.

--
Stefano Vaj