[ExI] Editing psychological traits was (name)

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:54:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM,  Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 December 2011 02:29, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While I have am down on raw emulations because I think humans have
>> some psychological mechanisms I *don't* want to see in machines, AIs
>> that had "carefully selected human personality characteristics such as
>> seeking the good opinion of its peers (humans and other of its kind
>> alike)" seems like a very good idea.
>
> Would you enforce the removal of the relevant mechanisms from humans?

Not at my present or foreseeable state of knowledge.  Human brains and
the resultant minds are far to tangled up to attempt removing a
mechanism even it is not presently active.  Ghod knows what else it
does, though I make a case it is involved human susceptibility to
religious memes.

I would, however, strongly suggest that we try to keep human
population away from the environmental triggers (looming privation)
that set off social movements that end in wars.

Keith