[ExI] Forking

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:59:45 UTC 2011

On 27 December 2011 10:55, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> If I fork myself, there will now be twice as much me-experience, twice the
> amount of human capital and twice as many entities sharing my goals. This
> has a certain value to me.

OTOH, this can be seen in another way: you get more and more
competitors exactly on your feeding chain, meaning that they will
obviously share your needs *and* tastes, and be roughly identical in
their aptness to satisfy them. Including for things such as, say, a
given one-copy romantic partner or one-place academic position. :-)

But personally I take a mid way concerning forks. I do not really
consider them as part of what *I* can be, but do consider plausible to
have some investment in them as we all have, in varying degrees,
having children, relatives, disciples, readers, heirs, clones,
co-workers or co-believers engaged in joint efforts, fellow citizens,
etc.

The real issue here IMHO is that "fork" immediately implies "divergence".

Something that makes obviously for competing centres of interest, but
at the same time for a more interesting scenario than would otherwise
exists, the truth for me being after Nietzsche that we do not really
want to replicate ourselves, but to give place to "something more than
what we have ever been"

--
Stefano Vaj