[ExI] how did high heels happen?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 01:23:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM,  Kryonica <kryonica at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Why it should be so is hard to say, since tall people are no better (smarter, stronger or more long lived) than shorter people but it is manifestly something that peoples all over the world appear to value.

There is an association with tall people being stronger since they are
just bigger.  There are a lot of studies that show tall people don't
live a long.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2393304/?tool=pubmed

There is a lot of material on the net looking at height vs reproductive success.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k45351223q403p42

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination

As to why some women are attracted to high heals, that's harder.  You
could argue that men are attracted to taller women (who are still
shorter than they are) because that will on average give them taller
sons, but there really isn't evidence that I know about to support
this theory.

Keith