[ExI] how did high heels happen?

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Fri Dec 30 14:45:00 UTC 2011

No one has mentioned the feminist take on high heels. That they're
of a kind with the many other fashions across history and the world
that appear designed to -- metaphorically or literally -- hobble women.

Although many women's fashions seem to be for the sake of impressing
other women, I recognize that some men like the look of heels.
I personally don't find them attractive at all, perhaps because I have
that feminist analysis in the back of my head and find the concept
repellant.

I'm happy that my daughter, while she played dress-up and Barbies,
never went full girly-girl. Out of daughter, two mothers, aunts, and
eight sisters, the most girly anyone gets is lipstick and jewelry. The
women in my family become mathematicians, Annapolis ring-knockers,
rabbis, physicists, structural engineers, etc.

Spike, I'd agreed with you about mammals vs. reptiles until I had a
leopard gecko, who reminded me a great deal of a cat. You need
to step past class distinctions to embrace the full diversity of
phylum sentience :-).

-- David.