[ExI] google translator

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 09:36:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Kelly Anderson  wrote:
> Bill, I don't disagree with you here. It may be unacceptable from a
> sociological standpoint, however, from a technological standpoint, it
> is easy to recognize the speaker compared to recognizing what the
> speaker is saying. In other words, many people talking at once would
> not bother the computer, but it might bother the other people in the
> room. Not sure which you were getting at here.

I meant the social annoyance factor of having a roomful of people
shouting at their handheld computers.

But I suppose more technology could remove that problem.

If everyone is wearing an earpiece (cable or bluetooth) and using a
sub-vocal microphone taped to their neck then the public annoyance
factor disappears.
(There is also the thought controlled tech that is being developed in
the labs for disabled people).

Then we would have to face the problem (already appearing) of
attention distraction where people step in front of cars or walk off
railway platforms while their attention is off in the cloud. You
already see people at parties sitting silently in a circle, all
tapping away at their phones, tweeting about how great the party is to
their 500 followers.  ;)

BillK