[ExI] Watson on NOVA

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 15 22:59:28 UTC 2011

On the topic of Watson, I declare a temporary open season for the number of
posts.  The second round is tonight and the final Jeopardy round is tomorrow
night, so until then, say midnight US west coast time, post away and don't
worry about 5 posts per day voluntary limit.  Or rather, if it is on the
timely topic of Watson, that doesn't count against your total.  There is a
lot of important and relevant stuff to say about Watson.  Yak on!

On Behalf Of Richard
Subject: Re: [ExI] Watson on NOVA

Samantha Atkins wrote:
>> ...  Are you sure you would want that powerful a mind to be incapable of
such reflection?

>...As well as being unstable, a goal stack would probably also never
actually be an AGI.  It would be too stupid to be intelligent.  Another side
effect of the goal stack.  As a result, not to be feared... Richard
Loosemore

Hmmm, that line of reasoning of *too stupid to be intelligent, therefore not
to be feared* is cold comfort.   If one believes what one reads in the
popular press, the Iranians' efforts to build a nuclear weapon are being
countered by a virus with no intelligence, the stuxnet virus.  For them it
is certainly something to be feared.  The Iranians getting nukes is
something I damn well fear, along with the Saudis and the Iraqis.  So the
stuxnet screwing up their efforts is in a way a friendly act on the part of
a non-intelligent softivore.  But the Iranians would see that as a very
unfriendly softivore.