[ExI] Watson on NOVA

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Feb 16 07:38:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 07:05:01PM -0500, Richard Loosemore wrote:

> Why is this comment necessary?  I confess I don't understand the need
> for the personal remarks.

I guess I should just switch to threaded view and ignore
the complete thread, annoying at it is.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

> Why call someone a "kook"?  What is this supposed to signify?

The problem is that transhumanists have an overproportional
share of AI kooks. Tolerating bad ideas drowns out good ideas.

What we need is an AI that works, not long sterile threads
about AIs that could, possibly, maybe, eventually work.

We have more empirical data than ever, reasonably powerful
hardware that is affordable to individuals so effectively
about anyone on this list could be a practical contributor.

Don't talk about it, do it, publish it, and tell us so we
can break out the champagne. Time's running out.