[ExI] Watson On Jeopardy.

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Wed Feb 16 20:03:53 UTC 2011

John Clark wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Richard Loosemore wrote:
>>
>> That kind of self-awareness is extremely interesting and is being
>> addressed quite deliberately by some AGI researchers (e.g. myself).
>
> So I repeat my previous request, please tell us all about the wonderful
> AI program that you have written that does things even more
> intelligently than Watson.

Done:  read my papers.

Questions?  Just ask!

>> But statistical adaptation is far removed from awareness of one's own
>> problem solving strategies.  Kernel methods do not buy you models of
>> cognition!
>
> To hell with awareness! Consciousness theories are the last refuge of
> the scoundrel. As there is no data they need to explain consciousness
> theories are incredibly easy to come up with, any theory will do and one
> is as good as another. If you really want to establish your gravitas as
> an AI researcher then come up with an advancement in machine
> INTELLIGENCE one tenth of one percent as great as Watson.

Nice rant -- thank you John -- but I was talking about awareness, not
consciousness.

"Awareness" just means modeling of internal cognitive processes.

Very different.

>> I confess I don't understand the need for the personal remarks.
>
> That irritation probably comes from the demeaning remarks you have made
> about people in the AI community that are supposed to be your
> colleagues, scientists who have done more than philosophize but have
> actually written a program and accomplished something pretty damn
> remarkable.

"... To be generous, guiltless, and of free disposition, is to take
those things for Bird-Bolts that you deem Cannon Bullets ..."

Richard Loosemore