[ExI] Lethal future was Watson on NOVA

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu Feb 17 01:32:51 UTC 2011

Samantha wrote:

>Hmm.  Of course if they are particularly advanced they could just
>engineer a super-nova aimed in our general direction from close
>enough.    Or as some film had it, send us the plans to build a
>wonder machine that wipes us out or turns us into more of them.

The first attempt at remote annihilation I know of in sf is
astronomer Fred Hoyle's A for Andromeda (BBC 1961, novel 1962):

>[I]t concerns a group of scientists who detect a radio signal from a
>distant galaxy that contains instructions for the design of an
>advanced computer. When the computer is built it gives the
>scientists instructions for the creation of a living organism, named
>Andromeda. However, one of Andromeda's creators, John Fleming, fears
>that Andromeda's purpose is to subjugate humanity.

Andromeda was played by Julie Christie, in her first significant
role. Sadly, there does not seem to be a complete copy of the
seven-episode series. But, thankfully, I'm old enough to have seen it
before they were lost.

-- David.