[ExI] Lethal future was Watson on NOVA

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 18 16:55:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:13:44AM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:

> The fact that we don't see massive scale manipulation of matter and
> energy indicates that this has not yet happened in our light cone.

We're not in their light cone. Origin being the time they started
expanding visibly.

> That doesn't mean it could not happen here.
>
> The human population growth falling below replacement in some places

I don't think this will last. Subpopulations still grow exponentially.
This is being masked for time being for select location, but the
question is for how long.

> is an indication that reproduction isn't as strong a drive as we
> thought.
>
> Still, to get the observed universe, we have to be wrong on something.
>
> Perhaps there is a relatively simple way to escape from the universe.

Not every time. Not one which can recall those already on the way.

In general, I wonder about the need for the obvious explanation: yes,
we're rare, and we're the first about to start expanding (assuming we
won't fall flat on our face, and can't get up).