[ExI] Serfdom and libertarian critiques (Was: Call to Libertarians)

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:34:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:56:45AM +0100, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> "Taxation" is an old invention indeed, and not a very clear-cut one
> for that matter (what about compulsory or heavily-encouraged community
> services in hunting-and-gathering tribes?).

Taxes can be any of: outright theft; club or homeownser asscoation dues
and obligations; dividend return on public capital; rent for use of
environmental capital; premiums for social insurance or insurance of
last resort.

If 10% of my income goes to build a private palace, that's theft.  If
50% of my income goes to zero-fare public transit, universal health
care, funding for basic research, good law enforcement, safe housing,
and many other public services, I may consider that a good deal.

-xx- Damien X-)