[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 01:47:50 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 02:08 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:

>> I like that principle Samantha. Very much. I am personally committed to it.  But I wonder how does one go about establishing system where the principle non-aggression is paramount, when natural aggression, both tribal and individual, seems to be a dominant feature of the human psyche nurtured by millions of years of evolutionary development?
> Me:
>
> Ah, yes, the question of the transition from where we are "here" to
> the glorious Llibertarian utopia "there".  This is my problem with
> libertarians -- particularly zealots-slash-purists.  They say our
> current system is crappy.  (I agree).  They say life  would be perfect
> in the Llibertarian utopia "over there".  But they .rarely seem
> willing to propose a reality-based plan for getting from "here" to
> "there"-- a plan for the transition.

Here is mine.  Give up on the USA.  Start a new country fresh by roughly
Rothbardian principles.  Now, who has a 10-20 million for our starter
island and set up costs?  :)

On the here to there, the first utterly critical thing is to agree on
what should be sufficiently to take the necessary actions.

Saying that without a detailed plan it is all more or less bullshit is
grossly unfair.  The first question is what is right, what should be the
case.  The problem of unravelling the current mess and replacing it is a
secondary endeavor.  Very important of course and I agree we need to
think a lot about this.  But to just dismiss the discussion in lieu of
such a detailed plan is not reasonable.

Here is my partial sketch of an incremental approach to a few aspects:

1) remove all non-violent, non-fraud "victimless" crimes from the books
by executive order;

2) release all imprisoned for such crimes immediately (also by XO);

3) get Constitutional amendments passed to limit severely what new
things government can do, starting with absolute limit that it cannot
borrow money except perhaps in rigrorously limited wartime conditions;

4) sell almost all government held assets outside its operational assets
as quickly as possible with proceeds applied to its debts;

5) on programs like Social Security, allow everyone below some cut-off,
say 40, to opt out if they desire immediately.  Those over some cutoff
get the benefits they have paid into.  Optionally allow everyone that
desires to to opt out and pay the benefits accrued out of general
accounts (where the money has ended up being spent anyway) until some
cutoff date that is say 20 years or so out;

6) roughly same idea on many other entitlement programs.  The point is
not the leave people hanging but to have a planned phase out over time
with no new promises.  The end goal being to get government out of these
areas entirely;

7) on education any parent can opt out of the public school system and
spend the equivalent amount for schooling by the school of their
choice.  This amount to be provided out of the same government accounts
in the beginning but over some period of time moving gradually to total
private market transactions.  Government gets out of determining
curriculum much earlier.

8) No more sort of maybe wars and troops posted all over the globe just
because we can or want to brag that the Navy is all over the world or
whatever.  We cannot remotely afford this.

There are many more and the problem solution cannot simply be written
down in one go.

- samantha