[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 04:47:22 UTC 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 1:14 AM, Giulio Prisco wrote:

> <<Probably all of us would agree that
>
> (A) Initiation of force is bad.
> (B) Starving children is bad.
>
> The question is which is worse. A libertarian would say initiation of force is unacceptable; figure out some other way to feed starving children. A liberal would say that starving children is unacceptable and so be it if force is necessary to avoid it.>>
>
> Well put. It is not easy when primary values are in conflict. In these cases I tend to look for midway solutions, like feeding children as much as possible while reducing initiation of force to the strictly necessary minimum. Needless to say, both fundamentalist libertarians and fundamentalist liberals dislike midway solutions.

Which children and what are the root causes of their blight really?  Is any child anywhere in the world who is starving a more valid claim to some of my possession and the the disposal thereof that I and those I know and value highly are?   How did that unknown child somewhere on earth automatically acquire a valid claim check on the property of those that had nothing to do with the conceiving or upbringing or the condition of that child?  Is to simply be born to have a claim on the property and part of the life and time of others as long as one is needy enough?  What exactly is being presumed underneath this?

-samantha