[ExI] Banking, corporations, and rights (Re: Serfdom and libertarian critiques)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Feb 25 20:17:18 UTC 2011

On 02/24/2011 11:45 PM, J. Stanton wrote:

> Allowing the creation of a virtual person ("corporation") onto which
> liability can be deflected gives officers of the "corporation" special
> legal privileges which the rest of us do not enjoy.  *** The very
> concept of the "corporation" violates the most basic tenet of human
> rights: equality under the law. ***

I very much disagree.  Limiting liability to just the funds/resources
owned by the business entity (except for criminal liability) is the only
way many highly financially risky projects (thing space business) can
ever be undertaken.    There is a very sound reason such entities
developed over 600 years ago.

> Consider: We've created a race of virtual beings which are immortal,
> cannot be physically punished,

Sure they can.  They can be totally torn asunder.

> have the money and resources of tens of thousands,

Having more money is a moral issue?

> and which can dissociate and reorganize their own component parts
> whenever and wherever it's convenient.

No, they can't except in very proscribed ways.

> And then we're surprised that these "corporations" run everything...?

No, they do not "run everything".  Governments run far far more.

- s