[ExI] General comment about all this quasi-libertarianism discussion

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sun Feb 27 18:15:40 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
>>> Richard, a simulation wouldn't prove anything, nor change anyone's
>>> mind. A simulation only reflects the mind of the writer of the
>>> simulation. [snip]
 > Richard Loosemore wrote:
>> Sounds to me like somebody is making excuses.
>
> Absolutely not. I honestly believe libertarianism would work, but that
> it would be EXTREMELY painful for a while. The reason being that we
> have created a system where more than half of the population is
> dependent in some pretty big way on the government carrying their
> water.

Okay, so let's dispense with the irony for a moment.

You are still telling me that in your opinion libertarianism would work
(= unsupported speculation, = mere philosophizing), whereas I am asking
you to ante up and give me some objective evidence to back up this
claim, by pointing to some code (or equivalent scientific evidence) that
shows that human societies would not break down under those circumstances.

After all, you did exactly this to me, when I wrote a paper giving a
theoretical analysis of AGI.  You gave me no quarter, eventually
insinuating that nothing I was doing was "science", asking me to point
to which of my papers contained some "science", etc etc.  And you even
(in the last post) implied that I was not developing some code to
support my research (which I am).

Libertarians COULD, if they wanted, do some systems-modeling to examine
the stability of human societies under various conditions, to show that
their ideas would not lead to anarchy and chaos.  But when I ask to see
such evidence, you dodge the question and tell me that simulations would
demonstrate nothing (nonsense: simulations have been of great value to
economists and intelligence analysts) or you just give me more of your
opinion again.

I accept that you personally might not be able to write such a
simulation, but there is an entire community that espouses these ideas
(whereas I, with my unusual approach to AGI, am just one overstretched
researcher) .... so why do you and your entire community of libertarian
believers dodge the question of giving us a simulation?

Turnabout is fair play.

Richard Loosemore