[ExI] General comment about all this quasi-libertarianism discussion

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 27 19:15:17 UTC 2011

On 2/27/2011 12:23 PM, Damien Sullivan wrote:

>> >  I would agree that Ayn Rand is an egomaniac, but that's what she
>> >  espoused, so I don't see how that is hypocritical. She lived her life
>> >  pretty much as she believed life should be lived.

> She lived it on Medicare:

Surely this is an unjust complaint. She'd paid for many years for it
(grudgingly, perhaps, at the point of a gun, yeah yeah, but she had her
money invested in the Medicare insurance program and had every right to
get it back).

Her most egregious hypocrisy was fucking her protege while insisting
that he and she lie about it to his wife. Maybe A is A, but apparently
SEX =/= SEX. Maybe it depends what the meaning of "is" is. (Her
wrongdoing is not that it was sexual, but that it was a betrayal of both
trust and the truth; it also showed revealingly that her emotional
drives easily overwhelmed her supposedly dominant rationality.)

Damien Broderick